Stay Safe! Being smart in the kitchen


Recent Posts



pot-820012_960_720Experience tells us that a high percentage of fires occur in the kitchen. Cooking is the main cause of home fires and fire injuries. You can prevent cooking fires. We strongly suggest you take these steps to keep yourself and your family safe while preparing meals.

  • Cook when you are alert. Do not cook if you are drowsy or if you feel the effects of medication.
  • Do not wear loose-fitting clothes when you cook.
  • Roll your sleeves over your elbows when you cook.
  • Move things that can burn away from the stove. This includes dishtowels, bags, boxes, paper, and curtains.
  • Never leave a stove unattended while cooking. Turn off the stove if you must move away, even for a moment. Keep an eye on what you fry!
  • Keep children and pets away. We suggest you create a three-foot safe-zone around the stove.
  • Always use a pan with a lid that fits properly.
  • Keep a lid nearby to smother any flames that occur unexpectedly.
  • Turn pot handles toward the back of the stove so no one can bump them or pull them over.
  • Be extremely careful when you have to move hot water from the stove to the sink. If practical use a ladle or a scoop to remove food from a boiling pot.
  • Keep the area around your stove clean.
  • Do not allow grease to build up around the stove. Built-up grease can catch on fire.

If, despite your best efforts, a fire does occur, there are a couple of things to consider.

  • If a pan of food catches on fire, and it is safe to do so, keep the lid between you and the fire, as if it were a shield. Slide the lid on top of the pan. Turn off the burner, and then slide the pan to a cooler surface.
  • Never try to stop a grease or oil fire with water.
  • If you have a fire in the microwave, do not open the door. Turn the microwave off. Call 911 or your local emergency number. Before you use the microwave again, have it serviced to make sure it works properly.

If you have the misfortune to burn your skin, follow these simple steps.

  • Cool a burn.
  • Put the burn in cool water immediately.
  • Keep it there for 3 to 5 minutes. This helps stop the burning.
  • Cover it with a clean, dry cloth.
  • If the burn is bigger than your palm, get medical help.

It is the hope of all Fire Fighters that no one in Muscular Dystrophy Canada ever has to experience a fire or other emergency in their kitchen. Remembering to take the steps outlined above will certainly reduce the chances of fire in the kitchen.

We hope you find these hints helpful. If you have a question regarding any of this information and have been unable to make contact with your fire department, contact your regional office of Muscular Dystrophy Canada and they will put you in touch with a Fire Fighter to assist you.



The commitment of Canadian Fire Fighters to individuals affected by neuromuscular disorders goes beyond fund-raising—they also care about your well-being. The National Fire Fighters Relations Committee (NFFRC) brings educational articles about fire and life safety issues to help keep you safe! 

Posted on:

Leave a Reply


WP-Backgrounds by InoPlugs Web Design and Juwelier Schönmann